Chicks are growing. Laverne now weighs in at over 10 oz at 25 days old.
Work on the coop/henhouse continues apace, despite the ungodly, unseasonable (for Wisconsin) heat. Tony works all day, every day. I help when I can, but mostly I make Gatorade and stand around taking pictures. The first series in this post was taken at 10:00 am yesterday (6/28).
Ramp and door frame for the hen house.
Reclaimed door hardware for the big hen house door (the one we open so we can clean it).
- The door has a chicken wire screen, and Tony will build a window for it.
My hubby has put a lot of work into this coop. The weather here has been hot and sunny. Nice that it’s dry, since not much building can happen if it’s raining all the time, but the heat has been pretty miserable lately, and I’m grateful that I have a mate who will work like this.
You can’t see it from here, but the sweat is pouring down his back. I am a lucky, lucky woman.
Tony spent much of yesterday –in 95 degree heat– fabricating a mechanism for the big run door (the people-sized one). He got the idea to use an old garage door handle, and figured out how to make it work with a regular (reclaimed) door knob.
Garage door mechanism (found in the shed and refabricated to be a door lock).
The finished product has an old enameled knob that takes a bit of twisting. When it’s closed, it’s like having a bolt shot through at the top and the bottom of the door, so I’m reasonably certain that no raccoon is going to be able to pry it open.
Today (6/29), we put a coat of Flood’s oil stain on the hen house. As the wood darkened, we could see clear differences in the types of siding. The back and sides are old-growth Douglas fir. The front and the nesting boxes are old-growth redwood, and the front door is old-growth cedar.
What a difference the oil makes. The stain is as close to clear as we could get, so that’s what the wood really looks like.
It is amazing to see the differences–and the natural beauty of the wood grain. It’s also really cool to make something old new again. I’m really happy with the way it turned out.
You can see the difference between the darker redwood siding and the lighter red of the cedar door.
I stained the inside of the coop, too. If you’re gonna do it, might as well do it right, and it only took me about an hour.
Beautiful inside and out!
So that part is done…Next up, we need to put porch paint on the floor of the coop, caulk the seams, and … put the roof on. The roofing should be here by the end of next week, as it’s shipping from Colorado, and they’re having a bit of bother with some wildfires. Tony’s also working on his design for a watering system, so once that’s going together I will take more pics and post them.
I’ll take the girls out this afternoon so that they can get some exercise in the run–they can’t go in the hen house yet because there’s no floor or roof on the nesting box. Plenty of pics to come!